Ham Salad

 When you have a small amount of ham left over you might want to try this recipe from Cook’s Country for Ham Salad. I did some changing from the original recipe and all of us thought it was very tasty and I thought it was quite easy to make. 
 What I like was that by using the food processor I could control how coarsely chopped the ham was. I really didn’t want it to be the ham paste type of sandwich spread though that type is good also. I made these with salad dressing instead of mayonnaise as I rarely have mayo in the house. Also used Dijon mustard instead of a whole grain mustard and added a dash of salt as our ham wasn’t very salty. I would taste before adding salt though. You can make this early in the day and chill until ready to use.
Ham Salad
1 ½ cups diced ham
¼ cup salad dressing, or mayo 
3 tablespoons pickle relish (sweet or dill)
1 tablespoon Dijon or honey mustard 
¼ to ½ teaspoon of pepper
Salt to taste (if necessary, ham is salty)
 Pulse the ham in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Combine salad dressing, relish, mustard and pepper in medium bowl. Add the ham and mix, taste for salt. 

Serve chilled as a sandwich or a wrap. Makes 1 ¾ cup 

8 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks so yummy--that is truly a lunch from my youth! But since no one in my family will eat ham, there are never leftovers. I should buy one of those single, thick ham steaks so I can get my fix that way. Did you use your cooked salad dressing to make this, Myrna?

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, not for this as I had some Miracle Whip that needed to be used up. A Ham steak works great.

      Delete
  2. Funny you should post about this ham salad. I bought a bone-in half ham a while back and froze some ham slices for sandwiches, saved some "chunks" for soup, and made a big batch of bean soup with the bone.

    We're "re-doing" a room into a multi-purpose area for starting seedlings, washing garden produce, grinding poultry feed, etc. I just told my husband yesterday I'm claiming a spot on one of the counters to mount our old-fashioned hand food grinder so I can easily grind leftover beef for hash, ham and/or chicken for sandwich spreads, etc. I don't have a food processor so the grinder would be handy. I'm marking your recipe for ham salad sandwiches! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good plan to me. A lot of work though.

      Delete
  3. Was just thinking about ham salad the other day. Exactly how I make mine; only I do add a couple of very finely chopped up hard boiled eggs to my mixture with a touch of horseradish mustard. So good served on Hawaiian King rolls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea oeggs added. Will have to try that

      Delete
  4. Ham salad! Your pretty picture of this GOODness reminds me, too, of so many parties and showers I went to in years gone by... I will have to make this SOON! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great way to use up the ham scraps and leftovers. Seems like was a staple at get together when I was a teen and young housewife.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.