Lemon Thyme Potato Salad



Both Sue and I read the Dr Gourmet web site. I read it because it lists recipes as celiac friendly or not. Also many of his articles make sense to me. 
 However, I have not tried any of the recipes till today when I made a variation of his recipe for potato salad with out any Mayo or Salad dressing. I can have the gluten free versions of them but don’t really care for that type (mayo). Lyle and Bettie do, but both agreed that this version was excellent and said they would certainly eat it again.
 It sounded like a lot of lemon juice and I hesitated to add that much but it worked out just fine. I used Yukon Gold potatoes so along with the mustard and the yellow potatoes the potatoes in the photo look quite yellow, even though there is not a lot of mustard in the recipe. If you are looking for a change of pace do give this a try. I used fresh thyme as I have a large pot of it, but dried will work. Keep in mind that dried is much stronger so you want to cut the amount and taste after it has sat for awhile.
 I made the full amount of the recipe knowing we would eat it leftover and it made 8 servings for us though the recipe says 6 servings.

Lemon Thyme Potato Salad
16 ounces red or gold potatoes
2 ounces bacon (diced)
¼ of a medium onion diced
1 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil
Juice of ½ of a lemon
1 Tbsp Dijon or yellow mustard
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves or ½ tsp of dried or to taste
⅛ teaspoon salt (I ended up adding more)
Black pepper 
3 ribs diced celery
2 cups frozen peas thawed (I used 1 ½ cups and it was plenty)
 Boil or steam potatoes until slightly soft. Drain and cool and then chill in refrigerator.
Place diced bacon and diced onion in small skillet and cook for about 15 minutes stirring often. Set aside to cool and than chill in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
 In medium bowl place the cooled bacon onion mixture and add the oil, lemon juice, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper and stir well. Cut the potatoes into about 1 inch cubes and add to the bacon dressing mix along with the celery and thawed peas. Toss well and chill.

2 comments:

  1. Looks good. I love all the ingredients you have in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is good and I like it being Celiac friendly. Makes a nice change. I have made it since using steamed green beans, that was good also. I am not fond of green peas so I liked the beans.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.