Pistachio Salad

 We are having some warm weather and I wanted something cool for supper. Early this morning I made a Pistachio Salad to go with cold chicken and rolls. This is the type of salad I made in the late 50’s and early 60’s when It was my turn to serve at our Ladies group. It really is quite rich and I find it more of a dessert than a salad, never-less it always gets eaten and the longer it sets the creamier it gets.
 If you want to cut the sweetness some, use a small orange sectioned or sliced and well drained instead of a can of Mandarin oranges. We prefer it that way to give it more of a citrus flavor. No one will guess that it has cottage cheese in it. 
Pistachio Salad
1 (3 ½ ounce) package instant pistachio pudding mix
1 (12 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (8 ¼ ounce) can mandarin orange sections, drained or 1 small orange sectioned or sliced well drained
1 (8 ¼ can crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 (12 ounce) carton cottage cheese (not low fat)
 Fold pudding mix into whipped topping; fold in remaining ingredients. Chill thoroughly.


Yield: 10 to 12 servings

6 comments:

  1. Yummy. I've had something like this before. Don't know if it had the exact same ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been around for a long time, this type of salad was very popular before we all became so weight conscious. It is yummy. Some chopped pecans are good in it also.

      Delete
  2. This is a church potluck and family reunion staple where I come from. It's sooo creamy and delicious! And it's really not all that bad for your--the cottage cheese is loaded with protein. It makes a delicious breakfast, too. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A church potluck staple here in Iowa also. Hadn't thought of it for breakfast guess it never lasts that long at our house.

      Delete
  3. I've had this before, but never knew how to make it. Well, I'm guessing it's the same, it's a Southern thing I've seen here for years. And I've always loved the pistachio pudding, so yummy. Thanks for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to share. I really think it was a Jello pudding recipe to start out with.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.