Cookbook Review...Better Homes and Gardens Complete Step-by-Step Cook Book


I’m not sure where I purchased the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Step-by-Step Cook Book used, but I haven’t been sorry.  The idea behind this big book is to explain cooking techniques - 122 of them – so cooks could get out of their “same old thing” cooking rut. 
Each technique in the book is explained with a classic recipe with photos of each step.  Each section is rounded out by additional recipes that use the same technique so you can practice.  If you want to cook from scratch more often, a book like this will make you more successful. 
The book covers everything from meat, poultry and seafood cooking techniques, eggs, sauces, soups, vegetables, fruits and salads, including homemade mayonnaise and salad dressings, breads of all kinds, every type of cake, cookies, pies, candy, ice cream, desserts and more.
Published in 1978, this is a book I’d like to see updated for today’s cooks.  But nevertheless, it’s a good book, with more illustrations of the steps you need to know than many cookbooks out there.

2 comments:

  1. I made the Mushroom Sauce this morning, and wow--it is SUPER delicious! What a revelation--where has the concept of veloute been all my life?

    I followed the directions precisely except I used a full 8 oz. box of sliced Baby Bella mushrooms (because I didn't want to deal with leftovers) and it worked perfectly fine. The 8 oz. box provided 3 cups of mushroom pieces, but who minds extra? I am going to stick this batch in the freezer for an upcoming steak dinner we have planned. It will be so convenient to have it already made.

    It seems like with the addition of some whole milk, this would make a delicious cream of mushroom soup for lunch.
    When I make Green Bean casserole this Thanksgiving, I will use this recipe instead of canned soup--it tastes so much better, and I love the 3 cups of mushrooms instead of 2 or 3 sad little pieces.

    I can't wait to try the Freezer Cheese Sauce next! Thanks for the recipes and the lesson on veloute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you tried it...the cheese sauce is good too...and to be able to freeze it!

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.