Basic Potato Yeast Bread

This is one of our favorite breads – the potato flakes make it moist and it keeps longer. I slice these when they are very cool; package in bread bags and freeze. We remove them a couple of slices at a time. Let the dough rise the first time right in the mixer bowl, saves washing! Takes about 2 hours.
Potato Bread
2 2/3 cups water
2 pounds bread flour -- about 6 1/2-7 cups (can use 1 cup whole wheat flour substitute)
3 1/2 tablespoons Butter -- (or salad oil)
3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 Ounces potato flakes -- (5/8 cup)
1 Ounce dry skim milk -- (1/3 cup)
4 Teaspoons Instant or rapid rise dry yeast* (2 packages)

•Heat water to 120-125 ° in microwave or saucepan. Use an instant-read themometer to get the right temperature.  Place flour (minus 1 cup), butter, sugar, salt, potato flakes, dry milk and yeast in mixer bowl.
•Using paddle attachment, turn on mixer to slow and add water. Turn to speed 2 and mix 2 minutes. Change to dough hook, add remaining flour and knead 6 minutes.
•Let rise in warm place in covered mixer bowl 10 minutes.
•Shape into 2 loaves, about 1# 13 oz. each, let rise in sprayed or greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2" pans 30 minutes or until the loaf is 1" above pan rim, while preheating oven to 400 °. Bake 28 minutes.
In 2011- $ 1.08 per loaf   Makes 2 loaves for $2.18
Per Serving: 128 Calories; 2g Fat (12.8% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 4mg Cholesterol; 287mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
** If you use active dry yeast instead of instant or rapid rise yeast, the rising times just about double.
**If you don't have dry milk, substitute one cup of regular milk for a cup of water.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I did a google search for recipes to make bread in a food processor and I ended up here.Im so glad I did, I LOVE your blog! I have a question for you, would you recommend using a food processor over a stand mixer or bread machine to make bread? I am thinking about purchasing a 14 cup processor, I already have the other two items, but the bread machine is on its last leg, it fell off the counter and the lid is broken so I have to tape it shut to use it. lol So instead of replacing it with a tool that only does bread I thought about a food processor. I have 7 children so I would be making large recipes. What are some of your favorite things to use your food processor for? Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer. :)

    amanyk@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a 14 cup processor for making single loaves of bread or pans of rolls; I use my 5 quart Kitchenaid bowl-lift mixer for 2 or 3 loaves at a time, which is weekly for us.
      I do use my processor for chopping, shredding and slicing vegetables, and shredding bulk cheese. Also for making salad dressings and mayonnaise where you can add the oil slowly through the holes; much easier than trying to do that by hand. I also make ground beef and chop cooked chicken or ham for sandwich fillings, etc. Many folks make their pie crust in one too.
      I use my mixer more than my processor, as I make granola, bread, bread sticks and the like every week; and I also use it for cookie dough, cakes, quick breads. I also use it for my homemade noodles.
      I have found that for bread making especially, I like the plain, heavy-duty 14 cup Cuisinart processor the best, I gave my fancy 14 cup processor to Myrna. It really lacked a little in the power department for bread.
      I gave up my bread machine because it wasn't as versatile as either the mixer and processor.
      Glad you're enjoying the blog.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.