Very easy to make – only 4 main ingredients! Use full fat cottage cheese, and don’t overbake, to keep it from getting rubbery. We like it best cold. If you have one, a cloth in the bottom of the pan helps keep it from overcooking. I have used Splenda for coooking in place of the sugar successfully.
½ cup sugar
2 large eggs
½ cup Heavy Cream -- or evap. milk, undiluted
8-12 Ounces Cottage Cheese -- full fat - 1/4 – 1/3 cup per dish
• Mix sugar, eggs and cream at low speed or by hand with a whisk.
• Place 1/4-1/3 cup cottage cheese in each sprayed or greased 6 oz. custard cup.
• Divide egg mixture among cups. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
• Bake in four 6-oz. custard cups in 9" cake pan of water at 325°-350° for 40-45 minutes. Use about 2-2 1/2 cups hot water for pan.
• Let set in pan of hot water 10 minutes after removing from oven. Cool to room temperature on baking rack.
• CUSTARD IS DONE AT 180° ON AN INSTANT READ THERMOMETER.
• Serve lukewarm or chill in refrigerator. Makes about 2 -2 1/2 cups.
For Pie, pour into unbaked 8-9" pie shell, Bake at 400° for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350° and bake until firm, 30 minutes.
Cost in April 2010: $1.43 or 36¢ per serving.
Per Serving : 287 Calories; 15g Fat (45.3% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 152mg Cholesterol; 276mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.