This recipe is from the book "The Essential Pasta Cookbook" – a beautifully photographed book with instructions for making pasta, photos of every conceivable kind of pasta, and loads of good recipes.
Our grocery store meat department packages and sells the chicken livers from the chickens they rotisserie. I think the same sauce would be excellent with ham instead of the chicken livers. I reduced the amount of cream, it didn't need it. Have your dessert made and side dishes ready before you start this last minute dish.
Fettuccine With Chicken Livers and Cream
12 ounces Egg noodles -- Fresh ( or 9 oz. dry)
10 ounces Chicken Livers -- Sliced
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 medium Onion -- finely chopped
1 teaspoon Garlic -- crushed
2/3 Cup Heavy Cream
1 tablespoon Chives -- snipped
1 teaspoon Coarse Grain Mustard
2 large Eggs -- beaten
2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese -- freshly grated (for serving)
• Cook noodles until al dente, drain.
• While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and stir over low heat until onion is tender, 5 minutes.
• Add chicken livers, saute 2-3 minutes.
• Remove pan from heat, stir in cream, chives, mustard and some salt and pepper to taste. Return to heat and bring to a boil. Add the beaten egg and stir quickly to combine. Remove from heat.
• Add the hot pasta to the sauce and toss well to combine. Serve sprinkled with some Parmesan and extra snipped chives.
6 Servings April 2010 cost: $3.09 per recipe or 78¢ per serving.
Per Serving : 416 Calories; 21g Fat (46.4% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 422mg Cholesterol; 416mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat.