Double Quick Dinner Rolls


This recipe from Betty Crocker Perfect Baking Every Time is a keeper - quick, unfussy - hot homemade yeast rolls with a nice texture and taste for only 52¢ a dozen.  I wouldn’t change a thing!  I think this would be an excellent recipe for anyone who hasn’t tried yeast baking yet. 
I liked the fact that I only had to scoop the batter into muffin cups instead of getting out a cutting board and shaping the rolls.  It makes them much easier if you are making them in a hurry - less fuss and cleanup too.  I used my Kitchenaid for the initial mixing and rising, and my muffin scoop to portion the batter.
                        Double Quick Dinner Rolls
  2 ¼    Cups  Flour, All-purpose -- 10 1/8 ounces
  2        Tablespoons  Sugar
  1        Teaspoon  Salt
  1        Package  Instant Yeast (2 tsp)
  1        Cup  Water -- 120-130°
  2        Tablespoons  Shortening or butter
  1        Large  Egg
Mix 1 1/4 cups of flour, the sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Add the water, shortening and egg; beat until smooth.  Stir in remaining flour until smooth.  Scrape batter from sides of bowl.
Cover and let rise in a warm place about 10 minutes.
Grease 12 medium muffin cups, 2 1/2 x 1 1/4".  Stir down batter by beating 25 strokes.
Spoon into muffin cups.  Let rise 10-15 minutes or until batter rounds over tops of cups.
Heat oven to 400°.  Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield:  "1 Dozen"    .
2011 Cost:  52¢ per dozen or 5¢ each
Per Serving : 118 Calories; 3g Fat (21.4% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 18mg Cholesterol; 185mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.


7 comments:

  1. Yum! These look great! I tend to do biscuits for dinner, but they always have a lot of butter in them. This seems like a good alternative! I would love to have you link up at what i am eating http://www.townsend-house.com/2013/02/what-i-am-eating-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made bread for years but I get lazy making it now because of the time involved...so a quick recipe with easy ingredients sounds like a winner to me! Thanks for posting...I'll be pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I found you on the Barn Hop and I would love to have you join the fun on my Creative HomeAcre Hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/02/the-creative-homeacre-hop.html

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The muffin tin is a great idea! that cuts a whole lot of work out of making dinner rolls. I'm going to have to try that the next time I bake.
    See what I'm up to at: www.kshippee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm--these were yummy! Made them exactly as written. Except I had a half-cup of plain yogurt languishing in the fridge--so in it went! I love being able to both make something delicious for my family and not let food go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them. I was thinking I need to make some of these this week too...they are so easy! And when they call them double-quick they are so right.

      Delete
  6. I was gifted a Betty Crocker Cookbook in 1967. Made them every year since with huge raves on results. Everyone likes them. Tried & true for 55 yrs!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.