Chili Corn Dog Pie

  I fixed this recipe from a Pillsbury Casserole Cookbook for supper tonight for all the Tex-Mex eaters in my family.
I don’t eat this type of meal, too spicy for me, but everyone else does. 
  I made it and will give the recipe using the brands listed. It was well received and I will make it again. I did use a mild Salsa and they thought a medium Salsa would have been better. I tasted the filling and thought it was spicy enough. Oh, well. 
  The corn bread topping and the hot dogs in the filling got the most raves. This from my daughter who really isn’t fond of hot dogs.
  This does call for mixes but occasionally that is not all that bad, It sure makes for a quick and easy meal to fix. Do give it a try if you like spicy dishes. You could kick the heat up easily if that is what you like.
  Cumin seeds are the dried fruit of a plant in the parsley family. Cumin is used whole and ground. I used ground in this recipe. It is a spice used often in Mexican dishes.
CHILI CORN DOG PIE
6 servings
CHILI
1 pound ground beef
1 cup Old El Paso Salsa®
3/4 cup water
1 (6ounce) can tomato paste
½ pound hot dogs, cut into ½ inch pieces
2 tablespoons chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin
TOPPING
1 (8 ½ ounce) package corn muffin mix
4 ounce (1 cup) shredded cheddar cheese
1 (4.5 ounce can Old El Paso® Chopped Green Chiles
⅓ cup milk
1 egg, beaten
  Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 9 ½ inch deep dish pie pan or 2 quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
  Cook ground beef in large skillet for 5 to 7 minutes stirring often. Drain
Stir in all remaining chili ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes or until mixture has thickened. Spoon into sprayed pie pan.
  In Medium bowl, combine all topping ingredients; blend well. Spoon batter over chili.
  Bake at 400° for 16 to 21 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Let stand a few minutes, cut into wedges to serve.
Pillsbury Casseroles 2000

1 comment:

  1. Welll... I'm afraid I don't prepare hot dogs anymore, Myrna, but I could see substituting chunked ham in this recipe.

    This would be a great weekend recipe--a nice hot dish waiting after a day's work out in the yard!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.