Better Homes and Gardens 1960's cookbooks


  A cookbook that I use a lot, is the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book Gold Souvenir Edition. I bought my copy in 1961 when it was first published. It is in a Gold binder edition, commemorating the sale of 10 million ”Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbooks”. It has the same contents as the 1968 red plaid cookbook which Sue has, I do not have the red plaid for that year. I do have 3 other red plaid cookbooks including the new one published in 2010. 
  I find that I use the souvenir edition first. The newest one has a lot of newer up to date recipes and directions, but I really prefer my older one. I find that if I want to try something different or find a recipe I have not made in awhile, this is the cookbook I turn to. Over the years, it has gotten battered and stained. I hope it lasts as long as I want to keep cooking as the used copies of it are selling for around sixty dollars. Ouch, I think I paid about 10 or 12 dollars for it new. 
I will use the recipes from mine and Sue is going to use her red plaid edition and we hope you will enjoy them as much as we do. Keep in mind that most of the editions were for several years and when they came out with a new edition, it had several changes in it. 
  Of all the cookbooks published, I think that they have done the best job of staying current with the food trends and staying basic for new cooks and cooks who have been cooking for several years. It's a good basic cookbook that has a place in anyone’s kitchen.  Sue says "Some of our blue-ribbon recipes come from these books!"

Here are recipes from these iconic books:

Oven Barbequed Ribs

Club Chicken Casserole

Molasses Cake Bars

Scrambled Eggs

Blueberry Pie

Wild Rice and Mushrooms

Golden Peach Pie with Canned Peaches

Tossed Egg Salad

Lazy Day Lasagna

Chocolate Crinkles














3 comments:

  1. I recognized that red plaid cover instantly, Myrna! Actually, I've had two editions--one literally fell apart from over-use and lack of care on my part *blushes with shame*, and the second one receives lots of TLC. Sadly, many recipes from the earlier edition were absent in the subsequent one, including my favorite recipe, "Lazy Day Lasagne".

    I agree with you that the BHG cookbook is essential!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying to find the tuna noodle casserole recipe from the 1961 edition of Better Homes and Garden cook book. It is the best and my family has been begging me to share the recipe; however my book is really tattered from use and that recipe is not legible. Is it possible to still purchase the 1961 edition?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red plaid or the gold edition that I have? If you look online on Amazon they have the 1968 book listed for sale or I could email that recipe from which ever of ours you need it from.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.