Cheeseburger Mac

Hamburger Helper was first introduced in 1971, and was listed as number three of the top five fad foods of the 1970s.  As a young mom at the time, I certainly jumped on the bandwagon and served this packaged dish until I became more aware of the high price I was paying for a handful of dry pasta, cheese and onion powder and plenty of preservatives.
My husband and I decided we probably hadn’t eaten this dish for at least 20 years – but we enjoyed it for a change.  I didn’t have any elbow macaroni, so I substituted small shells I buy in bulk.  We used ground beef from my brother-in-law, Don, which he had processed from his homestead-raised steer.   There is almost no shrinkage from his beef – the locker plant apparently doesn’t water it down.  This is the place to use store-brand processed cheese if you have a brand you like.  The recipe says 4 to 6 servings – I would say 6 to 8 servings, unless you have several teenage boys.
Try the quick way to drain the hamburger – wipe it up with a paper towel and throw it away, instead of clogging your drains with grease.
            Cheeseburger Mac
  1        pound  ground beef
  2 3/4  cups  water
     1/3  cup  catsup
  1 or 2 tsp.  teaspoon  onion powder 
  8        ounces  elbow macaroni -- uncooked (2 cups)
  12      ounces  Velveeta -- cut up
Brown meat in large skillet; drain.
Stir in water, catsup and onion powder. Bring to a boil.  Stir in macaroni.
Reduce heat to medium low; cover and simmer 8-10 minutes until macaroni is tender.
Add velveeta; stir until melted. (I simply covered the skillet a minute or two, then stirred it up).
4-6 servings.
About 73¢ per serving - the same price I would have paid per serving of Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper on sale.  
  "Grandma's Sunday Suppers "

1 comment:

  1. Sue, Thank You for this recipe! Was just wondering what would pull out to thaw for supper tonight, and your recipe made up my mind, lol. Is so nice to come across recipes that have what you already have on hand! Thank You Again :0) Gracie

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.