High Citrus Pie


  Chiffon Type Pies were quite popular in the 40’s. This recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Golden Treasury of Cooking is that type of pie. I made these often when I was first married and we entertained a lot. Now days, I still make them, but just not as often.
  They call for egg whites beaten stiff and folded in. The whites are not cooked and if this would bother you, I think egg white powders would work. As I get my eggs from Sue’s brother-in-law and I know he is very careful to keep his henhouse and feed clean, I don’t worry about it. I guess I never worried about it when I was making these types of pies years ago and buying my eggs from the local grocery store.
  I really think this would be very good put into pretty dessert dishes instead of a pie shell. It is low in calories and fat grams as there is no whipped cream or butter in the filling.
High Citrus Pie
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon (1 envelope) unflavored gelatin
Dash salt
4 egg yolks
½ teaspoon grated lemon peel, set aside
⅓ cup lemon juice (I used Meyer Lemons)
½ teaspoon grated orange peel, set aside
3 Tablespoons orange juice
2 Tablespoons water
4 egg whites
¼ cup sugar
1 baked and cooled 8 to 9 inch pie crust
In saucepan combine the ½ cup sugar, gelatin, and salt. Beat egg yolks, lemon and orange juice and water together. Stir into gelatin mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat just until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add saved grated peel.
Cool, stirring occasionally until partially set. 
 Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, slowly add the ¼ cup sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in gelatin mixture. It helps to lighten the egg whites with a small amount of the gelatin mixture before folding all of it in.
  Put into pie shell and chill till firm. Trim with shredded orange peel if desired.
  

3 comments:

  1. Hi! After reading that you own the Better Homes and Gardens Golden Treasury of Cooking I ordered myself one! I love baking and I love cookbooks! I really enjoy reading your blog. I have saved a lot of your recipes. I would love to have old Iowa cookbooks but have no idea which ones. There are so many! Are there any you could recommend? Thank you so much!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best Iowa cookbooks are all from Better Homes and Gardens, published by Meridith Corporation in Des Moines, Iowa!
      Try any of these: Better Homes and Gardens Cookbooks we own
      I, for one, am not a fan of the Iowa State Fair cookbooks.
      They are not from Iowa but we also love all of the Farm Journal Cookbooks.
      Check them out on the cookbook list above or on the right side of the blog.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.