Reuben Sandwiches

We love Reuben sandwiches.  My husband says that in restaurants, they don’t always drain the sauerkraut well enough, and it makes the sandwich wet.  I actually wring out the kraut with my hands; I also added some caraway seeds to it.  We especially like Frank's brand kraut, it seems to taste more like the homemade we remember.   I bought excellent corned beef at our meat market counter.  We thought the meat, cheese and kraut were on the generous side; we used half of it for nice-sized sandwiches.  I like to sprinkle a little caraway seed into our kraut.  
My worst experience with these delicious sandwiches was eating them at a luncheon for doctors at the hospital where I worked; they had so much horseradish in them I thought it was coming from my nose, eyes, everywhere.  I didn’t have any warning of how potent they were!  The cook said – "well, those doctors, they just love horseradish".  And they did; as there were none left. 
                     Grilled Reuben Sandwiches
     ¼    cup  mayonnaise
  2       tablespoons  chili sauce -- or ketchup
  1       teaspoon  prepared horseradish
  8       slices  rye bread -- or pumpernickel
  2       tablespoons  butter -- softened
  8        slices  swiss cheese -- sliced
  1        pound  deli corned beef -- thinly sliced
     ¾    cup  sauerkraut -- well drained
  dash  caraway seeds (optional)
In small bowl, combine mayonnaise, chili sauce and horseradish; mix well.
Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter.  Place cheese on other slice of bread.  Arrange corned beef over half of bread, top with dressing and sauerkraut.  Close sandwiches with remaining half of bread, cheese side down and butter side up.
Cook on a preheated large griddle (or cook 2 sandwiches at a time in a large skillet) over medium low heat 4-5 minutes per side until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.
4 servings
  "Grandma's Sunday Suppers"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.