Apple Crisp

This is one of my go-to desserts when I have a couple of apples languishing, as I did today.  This is quick, simple and delicious. I have made it in a loaf pan, as the recipe directs, in a small 5 x 7” rectangular Pyrex refrigerator dish, and in individual casseroles.  I can really speed it up by using my apple slicer.
Much quicker to get in the oven than a pie; it’s a good dish to bake along with casseroles, meatloaf, and the like.  I’ve used this recipe since I first purchased "Betty Crocker's Dinner for Two" and sometimes simpler is better.                    
                               Apple Crisp
  2        Cups  Apples -- pared, cored, sliced (2 medium)
   1/3    Cup  Brown Sugar -- packed
   1/4    Cup  Flour, All-purpose
   1/4    Cup  Oatmeal
   1/2    Teaspoon  Cinnamon
   1/2    Teaspoon  Nutmeg
  3        Tablespoons  Butter -- softened

Heat oven to 375°.  Place apples in a greased 9 x 5 x 3" loaf pan.
Blend remaining ingredients until crumbly.  Spread mixture over apples.
Bake 30-35 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.
Serve warm with cream, whipped cream, ice cream.
3-4 servings
2011 Recipe Cost:  93¢
Per Serving: 204 Calories; 9g Fat (39.8% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 23mg Cholesterol; 93mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Fruit; 2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, man...it's almost 1:30 in the morning, I'm wide awake, and here you are, writing about apple crisp, Sue. I have two apples I need to get used up, and this recipe will save those poor apples from wasting away on the window sill.

    Later this morning--if I ever get some sleep and wake up in time--I'm going to surprise my sweetie pie with a little apple crisp for lunch. Two apples aren't much, but all that extra crumblystuff on top is going to taste fabulous!

    One can never have too much crumblystuff, you know.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.