Baby Beef Liver and Onions

When I worked as a hospital dietitian, whenever we had beef liver on the cafeteria menu, the lines were longer and very few chose the other entrĂ©e choice.  It didn’t matter where we were, Iowa, Minnesota, Georgia or Texas, those folks in the line said “I’m the only one at home who eats liver – so I have to get it here.”  Our local family restaurant serves liver regularly on its “senior” menu – and they prepare it correctly – tender and moist.  Liver was served often when we were kids…nutritious, full of iron and protein, and inexpensive.
I have been making this recipe from “Betty Crocker Cooking for Two” since I’ve been married – it comes out perfectly.  My husband said today – “the liver’s go-o-o-o-od”.  I can only buy it locally frozen in packages that serve 4; he cuts the package in half for me while still frozen.  Don’t overcook liver, it gets tough as shoe leather – I usually find 10 minutes is enough.
                        Baby Beef Liver and Onions
  2             medium sweet onions -- sliced
     ½         pound  beef liver -- 1/2" slices
                 bacon fat or (lard or shortening)
Peel and slice onions.  Cook in hot bacon fat until golden.  Cover and cook slowly until tender.  Remove to warm plate and keep warm.
Dip the slices of liver in flour.  Brown in hot bacon fat.  Season.  Cook over low heat 10-15 minutes, turning once.  I add a tablespoon or 2 of water before covering.
Serve hot, topped with onions.
2011 Cost:  $1.31 or 66¢ per serving
Per Serving: 204 Calories; 5g Fat (20.3% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 402mg Cholesterol; 86mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...this recipe takes me back, Sue.

    If Mom prepared beef liver, it was always young calf's liver, or "baby beef liver", as the butcher called it. Pretty great eating, and your recipe, although different from the one I grew up on, sounds great. I'll try it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.