Tamale Perfection

 Well, one more meal done. I made a casserole from the Casserole Cookbook Put out by the Culinary Arts Institute. Published in 1956, many of the ingredients and directions are not always available or are time consuming. I always like to be fair and try any recipe the way it is written at least once.
  That said, the recipe calls for MSG (Accent) which I don’t think you can buy anymore though I used it back in the 50’s. 
  The Mexican theme, was what drew me to it, and it is fine the way it is, and that is the recipe I am going to give you. I do believe the next time I try it, I will use pinto or Kidney beans instead of the corn, and make a cornbread mix and pour over the top instead of the corn meal and water mixed in. The flavor was good and it is always fun to see how recipes have evolved through the years. I did add more tomatoes as this calls for a size can that I couldn’t find. Mine was a little better than half a cup short of the amount called for. I just added another can, and that worked fine. I made this in two dishes and gave one to my daughter, The recipe says that it freezes well before baking. Remove from freezer and bake one hour. Top with cheese and let cheese melt before serving.
  TamalePerfection
 Grease a 2 quart casserole.
 Put into a large, heavy cold skillet ¼ lb bulk pork sausage (could easily be omitted.)
Add 1 ½ tablespoons cold water.  Cover and cook till brown. Drain
 Mix in with fork 1 lb ground beef . When meat begins to brown, add
 1 cup finely chopped onion
  1 cup chopped celery
  ⅓ cup chopped green pepper
Cook until meat is well browned and onion is transparent. Add slowly and mix in
  2 ¼ cups (No. 2 can) tomatoes
  1 ¼ cups (12 ounce can) drained whole kernel corn
Blend in a mixture of 1 Tablespoon salt (way too much) Try one teaspoon first
2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon of MSG (if you can find it)
¼ teaspoon pepper
Cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
 Slice 1 cup ripe olives and set aside.
Mix together and add gradually to skillet, stirring continually 
1 cup cold water
1/2 cup yellow corn meal.
Stir in the sliced olives. Cook for a few minutes and turn into the casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes at 350°. Remove and sprinkle with 3 ounces of cheddar cheese . Return to oven till cheese melts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.