Beef in Red Wine Gravy

I’m don’t use my slow cooker much; in fact, I keep it on the very top shelf in my pantry closet.  But I have used it several times lately for this recipe from "Better Homes and Gardens Hometown favorites" …we enjoyed it with homemade noodles and a nice salad for Sunday lunch and my husband said “Now that was delicious”.     
This recipe isn’t just a man-pleaser; it’s so easy the cook loves it too.  No browning the beef in a separate pan, which, to me, defeats the simplicity of using a slow cooker.  And no thickening the gravy when the dish is done, it’s just perfect the way it is.  I have also made this with beef broth instead of wine and it was good too.  I usually cut up rump roast for the stew meat, cheaper, very little fat or gristle, and it holds up to long cooking.  I make this in the 5 hour time period on high, as we usually want it for lunch.             
                          Beef in Red Wine Gravy
  1 ½    Pounds  Beef Stew Meat -- cut in 1" cubes
  2        Medium  Onions -- cut up
  1        Envelope  Onion Soup Mix -- or 2 beef bouillon cubes
  3        Tablespoons  Cornstarch
  1 ½    Cups  Dry Red Wine or Beef Broth
Place beef and onions in a 3 1/2-4 quart crockpot.  Add soup mix, sprinkle with cornstarch, salt and black pepper.  Pour wine over all.
Cover and cook on low heat setting for 10-12 hours (or cover and cook on high heat setting 5-6 hours).  Serve over hot cooked noodles if desired.
Per Serving: 283 Calories; 10g Fat (38.7% calories from fat); 25g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 63mg Cholesterol; 688mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.