Christmas Brittle

  While looking through my Midwest Power Holiday Recipe 1993 cookbook I came across this recipe for Christmas Brittle. After reading the recipe, I decided it would be good anytime of the year. Also, there is no gluten in the recipe if you do like I did and sub in half Rice Chex and half Corn Chex for the Crispex cereal.
  I just made half of the recipe to try it out and needless to say all of us liked it a lot and I don’t see it lasting more than the weekend if that. Will make the whole recipe the next time.  I am also going to try subbing Honey for the Corn syrup. Just because we like honey a lot and I have it on hand year round. I will try cooking the syrup about 3 to 4 minutes instead of 5 as it was a little hard to stir into the cereal. That was the only difficult thing about this recipe.
  Christmas Brittle
8 cups Crispix cereal
1 cup walnuts
1 cup pecans
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup salted peanuts
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup white syrup
1 cup margarine or butter (I used butter)
½ teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
Pinch of cream of tartar
  Boil brown sugar, syrup and margarine for 4 to 5 minutes
Add salt, cream of tartar and soda. Stir and pour over cereal and nuts. Put in 2 greased cake pans (the wrappers from your butter or margarine work to grease your pan)  and bake 15 minutes at 300°F. Cool 10 minutes and break up. Can be stored in an air-tight container.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to have to try this!! Looks yummy to me...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.