Roxy's Potato Chip Cookies

I had first read about Potato Chip Cookies in a Cake Doctor Cook Book, and the author highly recommended them.  I had forgotten about them until I saw this recipe from Roxann Scofield, Sioux City, Iowa in the booklet "Iowa Power Holiday Recipes 1993.” 
If you don’t have an extra egg and need to make cookies, if you have leftover, stale potato chip crumbs, if you want a crunchy, sweet-salty shortbread cooky that my husband highly recommends, this is for you.   Your friends and family won’t guess what the secret ingredient is.
 I weighed my potato chip crumbs, just for you, so you don’t have to guess how much you need to make ¾ cup.   I put them in a quart-size freezer bag and rolled them with my rolling pin.   I used a size 100 scoop to portion the balls, but I rolled them by hand and baked for 11-12 minutes at 350° on parchment lined sheet.  I agree with Myrna, I only dip the tops of these cookies in the sugar so it doesn’t’ burn on the bottom and I like my “granny” fork to flatten them.   Let them ripen overnight at least, as you do for all shortbread.  These are best made ahead – how nice is that during the busy holidays.
                        Roxy's Potato Chip Cookies
  2          Sticks  Butter
     ½     cup  Sugar -- 3 1/2 ounces
  2          cups  Flour, All-purpose -- 9 ounces
     ¾     cup  Crushed Potato Chips -- 2 ounces
  1          teaspoon  Vanilla Extract
     ½     cup  Nuts -- chopped (2 ounces)
Mix all ingredients well, roll into small balls, dip in sugar, and flatten with a fork on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes at 350°.
Yield:  "4 ½  Dozen"         
2011 Cost:  $3.25 or 7¢ per cookie
Per Serving: 68 Calories; 5g Fat (59.2% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 9mg Cholesterol; 41mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.