Applesauce Walnut Cake

  Amy was looking through my copy of Duncan Hines Holiday Spectacular cook booklet, and found a recipe for Applesauce Walnut Cake. She had applesauce on hand and thought the recipe looked good, so decided to make it for the blog.
  The verdict was that she would make it again. It was moist and tasty without being too rich or too sweet. A sprinkle of powdered sugar is all it needs to top it off.
  Applesauce Walnut Cake
1 package Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Butter Recipe Golden cake mix (or yellow cake mix)
3 eggs
1 ⅓ cups apple sauce
½ cup butter - melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup chopped walnuts
Confectioners sugar, for garnish
  Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour 10 inch Bundt or tube pan.
Combine cake mix, eggs, applesauce, melted butter and cinnamon in large bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer until moist. Beat at medium speed for 4 minutes. Stir in walnuts. Pour into pan. Bake at 375° for 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 25 minutes. Invert cake onto serving plate. Cool completely. Dust with confectioners sugar.

10 comments:

  1. Can you use white cake mix with this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do not see any problem with using a white cake mix. Yellow and white are both a vanilla flavor. I wouldn't use a spice type or chocolate mix though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the cake with a white cake mix (because it's what I had) and it turned out to be yummy! I also used the icing from the Texas white sheet cake from your site and it worked well with this cake :) thanks!

      Delete
  3. So glad that the white cake mix worked for you. We think it is a good cake also, and quick to put together.
    I haven't tried frosting it yet. That sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easy, easy, easy...loved it!...used pecans...didn't have walnuts in the house

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this cake and almost burned it, because I baked it in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes before checking it. The recipe says to bake for 45 to 55 minutes. If you make this cake, start checking the oven at 25 minutes to see if it's done. Don't make the same mistake I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I can't lay my hands on this cookbook to check on the time, most cakes baked in tube pans are denser and take longer to bake. Your oven might bake hotter also. It is always a good idea to check on any baking before it is done. Hope you were able to save it.

      Delete
  6. I'm baking thus cake today using the golden yellow cake mix. It would also be yummy doing a powdered sugar frosting drizzle, or with whipped cream or a scoop of French Vanilla ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve made this several times using various cake mixes but this recipe followed as directed is the best!!!! Making it again today!
    It’s my go to bunt cake! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.