White Batter Bread


c


This is such good bread, we couldn't wait to share it!
While I do not bake bread often, when I do recipes like this batter bread from the older edition of Fleishman yeast baking recipes are the ones I use. The ease of preparation and the quick time make it a winner in my book. 
  One of the things about this recipe is that the fairly large amount of salt is correct and yes it all fits in one loaf pan. I have never had large holes in the bread making batter type breads, but that is supposed to be one of the drawbacks of this type of bread. I believe the secret is to beat the dough well so that it develops gluten strands. It should pull away from the side of the bowl.  Check our batter bread tips.
  This is a fast way to have fresh bread and if you time it right, you can have it warm with your meal. Yum, warm bread with the butter melting into it.

White Batter Bread
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt (yes, that is the right amount)
2 tablespoons butter of margarine
1 cup warm water (105° to 115)
2 packages active dry yeast
4 ¼ cups flour
  Scald milk; stir in sugar, salt and butter. Cool until lukewarm.
  Measure warm water into mixer bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top and stir until dissolved. Add in the lukewarm milk mixture. Stir in flour; batter will be fairly stiff. Beat until well blended, about 2 minutes. It should pull away from the sides of the bowl somewhat.
  Cover the bowl, (no need for a clean bowl) and let rise in a warm place out of drafts until a little more than doubled, about 40 minutes. 
  Stir batter down. Beat vigorously about ½ minute. Turn into one greased 91/2 x 5 ¼ x 3 inch loaf pan.
  Bake in a moderate oven (376°F. For about 50 minutes. Cover loosely with foil if browning too fast. Cool on wire rack.

Our Step-by-step Batter Bread Tips Here:

21 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this one!! My kitchen is calling me right now!! Thanks for such a beautiful recipe. This bread looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made one of these today after spotting it on the Barn Hop. Yum yum yum! I am so grateful you also posted the pics, it made me realise that my batter was far too dry and I was able to correct that. The resulting loaf is lovely, soft, white bread. The kids are going to devour it in one sitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it worked for you and that the pictures helped. It is an older recipe but one that I think works so well.
      Sue has some regular breads posted also, you might want to try.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if this would work with a gluten free flour blend recipe that I have hase anyone tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not try it with this recipe. Being Celiac myself, I have yet to find a bread that I thought worked and tasted good, but your best bet is to use a gluten free recipe. They just don't cross over well. I to would be interested if someone wants to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a lot of yeast. Is that correct? Just wondering

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the correct amount of yeast for this recipe. Most batter breads do call for more yeast.
    Check out our batter bread tips at
    Yeast Batter Bread Tips

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made this bread. All I can say is WOW. I don't think I will be buying commercial bread again. It is so light and fluffy. Up until this point, I did not know how much of a difference using scalded milk could make in a recipe. Truly a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Janet, It really is a good loaf of bread. Sometimes the older recipes are what works.
    So glad you liked it and will make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really easy. I am collecting easy bread recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is easy and good eating also. I think you will like it.

      Delete
  10. Could this be made in a 2 lb loaf bread machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it really needs to be made with the directions given. Most recipes are best made the way recipes direct and yeast breads should be made following recipe instructions. This is so easy that you really don't need a bread machine.

      Delete
  11. I agree with Myrna! You need to use a bread machine recipe instead of this one...this one is very easy as written.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make this recipe all the time. Wonderful recipe and is great with garlic, chives and parsley added in, or dill and a smidge of mustard powder for a faux Jewish rye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good using it as a dill bread with the garlic etc.

      Delete
  13. Deliciousness, love this recipe, I sometimes omit half cup white APflour and and half cup wheat for a variation.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.