Duchess Potatoes


I remember having these delicious potatoes years ago; I think they were popular in the 40’s and 50’s, after they appeared in a French cooking book by Escoffier in 1938.  I can see why. 
I steamed my potatoes – they don’t get soggy like boiling them – then made up the recipe in the morning.  About 15 minutes before lunch, I baked them off and my husband was surprised at how delicious they were.  They were heated through too, even though I had stored them in the refrigerator until I was ready.  I did get out my pastry bag and an extra-large 4B star tip and made them a little fancy.  If you have trouble filling your pastry bag, put it in a large glass.   This recipe will go in my regular rotation.  I can see doubling the recipe, and serving them on a nice heated platter for guests.  
                             Duchess Potatoes
  1 ¼   pounds  Potatoes -- Russets  peeled and quartered
     ½   teaspoon  Salt
  2       tablespoons  Butter
           Salt
           Pepper
1-2     tablespoons  Milk 
1         large  Egg
  2       tablespoons  Butter -- melted
In a covered medium saucepan, cook potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt in enough boiling water to cover for 20-25 minutes or until tender; drain.
Mash potatoes with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed.  Add 2 tablespoons butter.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Gradually beat in enough of the milk to make the mixture light and fluffy.  Cool slightly.  With mixer at low speed, beat in egg.
Preheat oven to 450°.  Grease a 15 x 10 x 1" jelly roll pan.  Using a pastry bag with a large star tip, pipe 4 mounds onto the baking pan (or spoon mounds onto the baking pan.)
Drizzle mounds with 1 tablespoons melted butter.  Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
To make ahead:  Prepare through step 3.  Cover with plastic wrap.  Chill in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours.  Drizzle with butter and bake as directed.
4 servings
2012 Cost:  68¢ or 17¢ per serving.

  "Better Homes and Gardens Our Best Recipes p132"



1 comment:

  1. It's been a long time since I've made these - I will have to try them again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.