Pumpkin Custard


  The Gluten Free Made Simple cookbook has many good simple recipes of which today’s is a good example. We are all fond of pumpkin pie and of course the pie crust is not a thing any of us gluten free eaters can have. This recipe for pumpkin custard fills the bill nicely.
  I have tried just making the filling and baking it separate with iffy results. Sometimes it works well and then the next time it doesn’t, so decided to give this recipe a try.
  It has a great flavor and texture. The only problem I had with it was that it took longer to bake than the time listed. I might not have had my oven quite hot enough and I did put all the ramekins on a rimmed cookie sheet to make sure they were easy to remove from the oven. The longer baking time didn’t hurt the taste at all, so I would just bake until a cold table knife inserted halfway between rim and center comes out clean.
  I did add a dash of allspice, cloves, and nutmeg as we like it better with these spices added. I will list them as optional in the ingredients. I used some crystalized ginger I had on hand for a garnish on the whipped cream. Great Eating. A great recipe from a great cookbook.
Pumpkin Custard
Ingredients
2 large eggs
½ cup sugar
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ ground ginger
⅛ teaspoon each of allspice, nutmeg and cloves (Optional)
¼ teaspoon salt
1 15 oz. Can pumpkin
1 5 oz. Evaporated milk
Whipped cream and crystallized ginger for garnish
Directions
  Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease eight 1 cup ramekins. In a large bowl combine eggs, sugar, spices and salt. Stir in pumpkin and evaporated milk.
  Pour into the greased dishes . Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until centers are set.
Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. When ready to eat, garnish with whipped cream and the crystallized ginger. Keep any remaining refrigerated.

2 comments:

  1. I have a friend who just had their 3rd baby and I'd like to make dinner for them. Her hubby is gluten intolerant and I was wondering if you had any suggestions of a family friendly, as well as easy gluten free meal that I could make. Some kids can be so picky (like mine)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber,
    You can't go wrong with rice and if you want hot dogs for the kids, Oscar Mayer all beef are GF. Also most Wimmer sausages are GF. Look on the blog for recipes we have marked Gluten Free. I would not advise a stir fry just because most Soy sauce is not GF. Go to the search box and type in Gluten Free and there are several recipes there. Be sure you check the labels.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.