Chicken and Homemade Noodles

I’m posting this recipe in honor of my mother-in-law, who raised her 8 children on it.  We seldom had a get-together, family dinner or reunion that didn’t include either beef or chicken with homemade noodles served over homemade mashed potatoes.   I have actually cooked the noodles and chicken in a dishpan for a big family get-together (and it all disappeared!)  It’s such an Iowa thing that when Myrna's and my kids were in school it was served for lunch there.  
Many of our friends these days use purchased canned chicken and either dry “Neva’s Noodles” made in Albia, Iowa, or Reames Frozen Homestyle Noodles, (a brand that was started in Des Moines and now has a plant in Altoona, Iowa) and bring crockpots of it to pot luck dinners.  So I shouldn't have been surprised to find it in "Better Homes and Gardens 2010 Red Plaid" since the magazine is based in Des Moines, Iowa.
For this to be authentic, you really need thicker noodles than I made.  I don’t make this often anymore, but I did make my own noodles although not thick ones) for this as well as homemade mashed potatoes and Myrna's homemade broth – it’s a treat for us nowadays.                    
Chicken and Homemade Noodles
  3         pounds  Chicken Pieces
  5         cups  Chicken Broth -- homemade (divided)
     ½      teaspoon  Salt
     ¼      teaspoon  Pepper
  12      ounces  Homemade Noodles -- frozen or home made
  2        tablespoons  Flour
In a 4-5 quart pot combine chicken, 4 cups of broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat, simmer, covered, for 40-45 minutes until chicken is very tender.  Remove chicken from pot, cool slightly.  Remove meat from bones; discard skin and bones.  Chop chicken (3-4 cups), set aside.
Strain broth; return to pot.  Skim fat if any.  Bring to boiling; add noodles, boil gently, uncovered for 10-15 minutes, depending on thickness of noodles, stirring occasionally.
Combine flour with remaining broth until smooth.  Stir into noodle mixture, cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.  Stir in chicken and cook until heated through, 5 minutes.
6 Servings
Serve with Mashed Potatoes - Iowa Style!
  

2 comments:

  1. Every day is a good day for chicken and noodles and your's look just delicious. My mouth is watering as I type this comment. Only wish I lived next door to you gals!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mom would always make this but with pot roast, that had been put in the slow cooker, and with her own homemade gravy. It was good. She doesn't make it that much anymore, at least when I go back to visit, I think she makes it more for my sister who still lives nearby and eats more meat than I do.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.