Easy Fresh Peach Turnovers

This is the kind of recipe I purchased a set of large round cutters for.  It’s very convenient to simply cut the rounds for these pretty, tasty turnovers so easily.  I had my pie crust in the freezer; I let it thaw about a half hour and rolled it out – it seems like the thawed pie crust is even easier to handle than fresh pie crust.  I always make more than I need and freeze a few patties for later.
Next time I make this recipe, I will cut my peaches more finely to make the little turnovers easier to fill.  I added a sprinkle of cinnamon along with the sugar inside. I rolled out and cut my rounds, then peeled the peaches so I didn’t have to treat them to keep them from getting brown.  I used a “soft fruit peeler” so I didn’t have to heat the peaches first.   I like this recipe because you don’t really have to make a filling per se, just divide the peaches up and sprinkle with sugar.
                           Fresh Peach Turnover
  1        Recipe Pastry for 1 Crust
  1 ½    Cups  Peaches -- peeled, pitted, 1/2" slices
  7        Tablespoons  Sugar
  2        Tablespoons  Heavy Cream
Preheat oven to 425°.  Line a half sheet with parchment paper or grease and lightly flour it.
Roll the dough to an 1/8" thickness.  With a 4 1/2" round cutter or saucer, cut out as many pieces of dough as possible, about 7.
Gather up the scraps of dough, press them together, and reroll them to cut the remaining rounds, about 10 total.
Place 2 tablespoon of prepared peaches on each round of dough or simply divide the peaches among the 10 rounds.
Sprinkle each mound of fruit with a scant 2 teaspoons of sugar.  Moisten the edges of the dough with water and fold each round of dough over to form a half-moon shape.  Press the edges gently with your fingers, and then press them together with the tines of a fork.
Brush the turnovers with cream and sprinkle each one with about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.  Place them on the prepared baking sheet, allowing 1" between.
Bake at 425° for about 20 minutes, until the pastry is lightly browned.  Remove from oven and cool on racks.
If not eaten within a day, they should be carefully wrapped and frozen.
2012 Cost:  $1.88 if peaches are $1.99 per pound or less than 20¢ apiece.
  "The Fannie Farmer Baking Book"
Per Serving: 161 Calories; 8g Fat (44.7% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 11mg Cholesterol; 108mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.