Beef Enchiladas


  Bettie is a fan of Mexican food and Lyle will eat it, so thought I would make the Beef Enchiladas from the Taste of Home 1994 Recipe book for them. I don’t eat Mexican, just a quirk of mine, but as they used flour tortillas I could not have them anyway.
  The recipe calls for cottage cheese in the filling, which my daughter and Bettie say is different, so of course I needed to try them.
  I thought they were quite easy to make, I did not put in all the chili powder it called for, as I thought they were hot enough without it, If you like things spicy, I would add it all. 
  All in all, they were quite good, at least that is what I heard. Amy tasted the sauce when I was making it, and I saved two of the leftovers for her for tomorrow. This makes a fair amount and they are quite filling.
Beef Enchiladas
1 pound of ground beef
1 cup cottage cheese
1 can (4 ¼ ounces) chopped or sliced ripe olives
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
 8 small (7 inch) flour tortillas
Sauce
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 can (15 ounce) tomato sauce
1 can (4 ounce) chopped green chilies
2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon garlic powder
  1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
In a skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain. Mix with the cottage cheese, olives, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place about ⅓ cup of filling on each tortilla; roll up. Place tortillas, seam side down, in an ungreased 13 x 9” baking pan. For sauce, saute the onion in the oil until tender. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients. (I heated the sauce for a few minutes)
   Pour over the tortillas in the pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes, Sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts. 
Yield 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.