Taco Seasoning Mix



I don’t like to store little packets of seasoning I might not use again soon, so I use this mix for taco seasoning.  It’s from the great cookbook, Make a Mix.
                            Taco Seasoning Mix
  2          Teaspoons  Instant Minced Onion
  1           Teaspoon  Salt
  1           Teaspoon  Chili Powder
     ½       Teaspoon  Cornstarch
     ½       Teaspoon  Crushed Dried Red Pepper
     ½       Teaspoon  Instant Minced Garlic
     ¼       Teaspoon  Dried Oregano
     ½       Teaspoon  Ground Cumin
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl until evenly distributed.  Spoon mixture onto a 6 inch square of aluminum foil and fold to make airtight.
Label with date and contents.  Store in a cool, dry place; use within 6 months.
Makes one package or about 2 tablespoons.
  "Make a Mix "
Yield:  "1 Package"
Per Serving: 18 Calories; 1g Fat (28.7% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 2159mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fat.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting this recipe up.......a great gluten-free alternative to the supermarket packet mixes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about something......why is there cornstarch in this? I've only used that as a thickener - what would it do for taco seasoning? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I opened lemon pepper yesterday and it was so clumped together I had to loosen it up with a fork...I suspect the cornstarch is to keep your taco seasoning from getting clumpy in storage. If you are using the seasoning right away as I usually do, you wouldn't need it.

      Delete
    2. If not your tacos will be runny. It creates a thicker sauce on your taco meat.

      Delete
  3. That makes sense - thanks! I will probably make a bigger batch of this, so I will use the cornstarch to keep it un-clumped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be my take on the cornstarch also. Most of the commerical packets call for a cup of water and the cornstarch is used as a thickner.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.