Ground Beef Potato Casserole


  The cookbook Treasured Recipesa gift, from one of my taste testers is one of the better church cookbooks. It is put out by the First Christian Church of Oskaloosa, Iowa and has a fair assortment of recipes for a book of this kind. Thanks Eric.
  One of the casserole recipes caught my eye. It is similar to a casserole that I make and I decided to try it, adapting it to our tastes. The main thing I changed is not putting the cheese on at the end. 
  So here, with my changes is a casserole recipe for ground beef and potato casserole.cGround Beef Potato Casserole
1 pound ground beef
¼ cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 can of cream soup of your choice (I used Cream of Chicken Mushroom)
1 soup can of chicken stock (broth)
1 Tablespoon soy sauce (if you use low sodium, you might want to add some salt)
4 cups peeled and sliced potatoes, (russets work very well)
  Saute the celery and onion, add one garlic clove minced if desired. When soft, add the ground beef and brown. Add the cream soup, chicken stock, soy sauce and about 2 tablespoons of brandy if desired. We feel it gives it a deeper flavor.
  Heat to boiling and pour over potato slices in a 11 x 7 pan or 2 quart casserole dish.
Bake at 325° to 350° for one hour or until potatoes are done. Mine usually take the hour at 350° in the 11 x 7 pan. 
*A casserole dish might take longer.

4 comments:

  1. I make something very similar to this using meatloaf and sliced cooked potatoes. We love meatloaf and when we have it I make 3. 1 to eat hot, 1 to freeze and 1 to make this with. I have been known to add diced cooked pork to it as well.
    It makes a great waste not want not dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam
    What a great idea. I am going to try that. Lyle is very fond of meatloaf and this would be a great idea to use it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first recipe I have tried from your blog, although I have been following a while and have found many recipes I want to try. I used about 6 cups of Yukon Gold potatoes and added shredded carrots and mushrooms when sautéing. We enjoyed this and it will go in my make again list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, the addition of the carrots and mushrooms sound like a very good idea. I will try that the next time I make this. Glad you liked it and hope you try some of the other recipes you thought looked good.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.