Shoestring Chicken Salad

This is an old “ladies’ luncheon” recipe from the 50’s or 60’s.  I think I remember it from Jr. High Home Economics classes.  Don’t use salty canned chicken for this recipe – the potato stix, which I wasn’t sure I could even still buy, are salty enough.  Rotisserie or leftover grilled chicken is perfect.  Try this recipe for Homemade Cooked Dressing.
My husband and I both thought that a little cucumber would have made the chicken salad even better.   I enjoyed this old favorite again, and my husband, who hadn’t ever eaten it or the shoestring potatoes before, thought it was OK too.                 
Shoestring Chicken Salad
  1 ½       Cups  Mayonnaise -- or salad dressing
  1           Teaspoon  Vinegar
     ½       Teaspoon  Prepared Mustard
  1           Cup  Celery -- finely chopped
  10         Ounces  Chicken -- cooked, diced
  1           Teaspoon  Onion -- grated
  1           Cup  Carrots -- grated
  4           Ounces  Shoestring Potatoes
Combine dressing, vinegar and mustard with all other ingredients except the shoestring potatoes.  Just before serving, add the shoestring potatoes.
8 Servings
2013 Cost:  $3.70 or 47¢ per serving
  "Fan Fare"

Per Serving: 441 Calories; 44g Fat (86.0% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 38mg Cholesterol; 326mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 4 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

2 comments:

  1. Over 40 years ago when my husband and I had first started dating I made a similar recipe called Tuna on a Shoestring. I assembled the salad while we were on a picnic and he "says" he was impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good...maybe better than chicken! Thanks for the idea.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.