I’m a bread baker, so I had to try this different lemon and sour cream flavored yeast bread. The recipe is for a bread machine (follow your machine directions for sweet dough); so it only makes a small 1 pound loaf. One large lemon is enough for this recipe.
I don’t want to give kitchen space to a bread machine anymore, as I usually only used it to mix dough anyway, so I reworked the recipe to make it in my food processor. I baked it in a 3 x 7” bread pan, and it still made a very small loaf – just right for tea bread. The spread was delicious, although you don’t really need it.
Sour Cream Lemon Bread
¼ Cup Sour Cream
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
3 Tablespoons Milk
2 Cups Bread Flour -- 9 ounces
2 Tablespoons Butter -- softened
1 Teaspoon Salt
¼ Tablespoon Baking Soda
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 ½ Teaspoons Instant Yeast
1 Large Egg
2 Teaspoons Lemon Peel -- grated
3 Ounces Cream Cheese -- softened
¼ Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Lemon Peel -- shredded
1 Each Lemon
- Combine sour cream and lemon juice. Add enough milk to measure 1/2 cup. Warm liquids to 110°.
- In food processor with a steel blade, combine bread flour, butter, salt, baking soda, sugar, instant yeast, egg and lemon peel. (This is not enough dough for the dough blade)
- Pour warm liquid into processor while running, adding just as fast as flour can absorb it. Process until mixture starts to form a ball. Process an additional minute.
- Let dough rise, right in the covered processor bowl, in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Turn out on board and shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 3 x 7" loaf pan and let rise until almost doubled. It takes about 30-40 minutes. It won’t fill the pan to the top.
- Bake at 400° for about 30 minutes, or until bread reaches 190-200° with an instant-read thermometer stuck in the end of the loaf. Turn out onto rack to cool.
- Serve with spread that has been mixed with an electric mixer until smooth (about 1/2 cup total).
"Taste of Home Holiday Recipe Card Collection 2002"
Per Serving: 122 Calories; 5g Fat (34.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 25mg Cholesterol; 231mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.