Chicken in Potato Baskets

My husband really liked the flavor of these little casseroles from “Taste of Home Holiday Recipe Cards 2003".  I didn't have pretty ceramic casseroles like the magazine used, but I used these glass Anchor Hocking bakers, and they were just the right size.  I used O'Brien-style hash browns, as that’s what I had on hand, and I think it added to the flavor.  I used chicken I prepared from a recipe from Cheap, Fast, Easy.  It was perfect.             
Chicken in Potato Baskets
  4 ½   Cups  Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes -- thawed
  6         Tablespoons  Butter -- melted
  1 ½    Teaspoons  Salt
     ¼    Teaspoon  Pepper
                        Filling
     ½     Cup  Onion -- chopped
     ¼     Cup  Butter
     ¼     Cup  Flour
  2          Teaspoons  Chicken Bouillon Granules
  1           Teaspoon  Worcestershire Sauce
     ½     Teaspoon  Dried Basil
  2          Cups  Milk
  3          Cups  Cooked Chicken -- cubed
  1           Cup  Frozen Peas -- thawed
In a bowl, combine the potatoes, butter, salt and pepper.  Press into six greased 10 ounce custard cups, set aside.
In a saucepan, sauté onion in butter.  Add the flour, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce and basil.  Stir in the milk.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Add chicken and peas.  Spoon into prepared crusts.
Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
6 Servings 
Per Serving: 386 Calories; 25g Fat (59.2% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 122mg Cholesterol; 981mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 4 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

2 comments:

  1. I will try this tomorrow I think but will cook it in metal dishes hoping that the hash brown crust will crisp up better. I have cooked lots of your recipes and they have all been winners. Many thanks. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam, so glad the recipes have worked well for you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.