Tuna Mushroom Casserole


This isn’t your usual tuna noodle casserole with a can of cream soup – this one has green beans, mushrooms, celery and garlic and Swiss cheese in the easy sauce. The sauce looked too thin before cooking, but was just right.  I used Fontina cheese I had on hand; I think cheddar would also be good.  I used a few canned onion rings left from the holidays instead of the bread crumbs and butter, my husband loves them.    
I hate, hate, hate recipes that don’t tell you how much dry noodles to cook – I guessed and came out right – 6 ounces made the 2 ½ cups when cooked.   I also sautéed my onions, celery and garlic and mushrooms instead of boiling them, right in the pan I cooked my noodles in, and then I made the sauce, again, right in the same pan.
The recipe says 4-6 servings, we thought 8 was more like it.  I made it in 2 smaller casseroles; one baked the first day and one later.  
Tuna Mushroom Casserole                       
     1/2   Cup  Water (I used water from the tuna as part of this)
  1           Teaspoon  Chicken Bouillon Granules
  10        Ounces  Green Beans, Frozen
  1          Cup  Onion -- chopped
  1          Cup  Fresh Mushrooms -- sliced
     1/4   Cup  Celery -- chopped
  1          Clove  Garlic -- minced
     1/2    Teaspoon  Dill Weed
     1/2    Teaspoon  Salt
     1/8    Teaspoon  Pepper
  4          Teaspoons  Cornstarch
  1 1/2   Cups  Whole Milk
     1/2   Cup  Swiss Cheese -- shredded
     1/4   Cup  Mayonnaise
  2 1/2   Cups  Noodles -- medium, cooked and drained (about 6 ounces dry)
  12 1/4 Ounces  Tuna -- drained and flaked
     1/3    Cup  Dry Bread Crumbs
  1          Tablespoon  Butter
In a large saucepan, bring water and bouillon to a boil, stirring to dissolve.  Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes until vegetables are tender.  Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth; add to vegetable mixture, stirring constantly.  Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes until thickened.  Remove from heat; stir in cheese and mayonnaise until cheese is melted.
Fold in noodles and tuna.  Pour into a greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish.  Brown bread crumbs in butter; sprinkle over casserole.  Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
6-8 Servings
Cost:  $5.25 or 88¢ per serving for 6 servings
  "Taste of Home Complete Guide to Country Cooking"
Per Serving: 362 Calories; 18g Fat (45.2% calories from fat); 23g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 62mg Cholesterol; 451mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.