Herbed Orange Rice


  Once again, we tried a new rice recipe for supper. The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook had a recipe for Herbed Orange Rice that I wanted to try. 
  I had one orange left and it was not quite enough orange juice and I made up the amount with water. It would have been better with the full amount of orange juice, but was still excellent and a change of pace.
  I used parboiled rice so used the smaller amount of rice and it worked out just right.
Herbed Orange Rice
2 tablespoons butter
⅔ cup chopped celery with leaves
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 ¼ cup water
1 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
¾ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon thyme leaves
1 cup regular long grained or ¾ cup parboiled rice
  In a 2 quart saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the celery and onion till tender. About 4 minutes.
  Add the water, grated orange peel, orange juice, salt and thyme leaves. Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat to low. Simmer till all liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender and creamy. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting idea! I've used broth to make rice. Never gave juice a thought. Will have to try it sometime. Thanks!

    (This is my 4th attempt at a comment. First ones were deleted when I clicked publish. Blogger.com gets me to a gmail sign-in page.) Trying anonymous this time. --Nadine

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.