Family Favorites...Double Quick Dinner Rolls

This recipe from Betty Crocker Perfect Baking Every Time is a keeper - quick, unfussy - hot homemade yeast rolls with a nice texture and taste for only 54¢ a dozen.  I wouldn’t change a thing!  I think this would be an excellent recipe for anyone who hasn’t tried yeast baking yet. 
I liked the fact that I only had to scoop the batter into muffin cups instead of getting out a cutting board and shaping the rolls.  It makes them much easier if you are making them in a hurry - less fuss and cleanup too.  I used my Kitchenaid for the initial mixing and rising, and my muffin scoop to portion the batter.
Double Quick Dinner Rolls
  2 ¼    Cups  Flour, All-purpose -- 10 1/8 ounces
  2        Tablespoons  Sugar
  1        Teaspoon  Salt
  1        Package  Instant Yeast (2 tsp)
  1        Cup  Water -- 120-130°
  2        Tablespoons  Shortening or butter
  1        Large  Egg
Mix 1 1/4 cups of flour, the sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Add the water, shortening and egg; beat until smooth.  Stir in remaining flour until smooth.  Scrape batter from sides of bowl.
Cover and let rise in a warm place about 15-20 minutes, until double.
Grease 12 medium muffin cups, 2 1/2 x 1 1/4".  Stir down batter by beating 25 strokes.
Spoon into muffin cups.  Let rise 10-15 minutes or until batter rounds over tops of cups.
Heat oven to 400°.  Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield:  "1 Dozen"    .
2014 Cost:  54¢ per dozen or 5¢ each
Per Serving : 118 Calories; 3g Fat (21.4% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 18mg Cholesterol; 185mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

7 comments:

  1. This recipe looks like a good one. I have been using a recipe that is easy enough but the rolls seem to dry out rather quickly. I think the addition of
    The egg will help keep these moist and make them richer tasting. My kitchen aid mixer died last night : ( and this recipe looks like it would be easy to make by hand until I can get a new mixer. We make virtually all of our own breads and rolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tracy..
      We often freeze the extras of these and heat them in the microwave 20-30 seconds before serving...great to have on hand on a busy day.
      I think you'll like them. I never, ever buy bread either!

      Delete
  2. hi! i just found your blog and added you to my sidebar and signed on to follow! great blog and i will be making many of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi jaz, Always great to have new readers and friends. I look at your blog often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! Another one to bookmark! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These rolls look great, love your site, check in daily to see what you are making, keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an Iowa Sis and was happy to find this mentioned on Rock Whisperer's Blog this morning.

    I just made a similar recipe only I had to let mine raise l hour....will do this one next time I am in a hurry!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.