Creamy Pear Pie


  Eric kindly lent us his cookbook, America’s Hometown Recipe Book. Among the recipes I am trying was this recipe for pear pie. I usually have pears on hand as we all like them and while I did alter this slightly, it is very close to the original recipe.
  I have made pear pie before, but not with the sour cream this calls for. It is very good and a nice change of pace from the normal fruit pie. 
  Outside of peeling the pears, there is not a lot of work to this pie, and I used the pie crust recipe HERE I always use and keep in the freezer for just times like this when I don’t want to mess with a pie crust also.
  The nutmeg I added because we like that flavor with pears is optional or you might try just a pinch of cinnamon. Try this when the pears are nice and ripe for a different pie.
Creamy Pear Pie
4 cups peeled, sliced pears
⅓ cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon almond extract
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust
¼ cup flour
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons brown sugar
  Preheat oven to 400°
Toss pears with lemon juice as you are peeling and slicing. Than toss with the sugar, nutmeg and flour.
  Stir the vanilla and almond extract into sour cream. Add to the pears and flour, sugar mixture. 
  Spoon into pie shell. Combine flour, melted butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Sprinkle over pears. Bake for 10 minutes at 400°.
Reduce heat to 350° and bake for 45 minutes or until pears are tender. Cool on wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy your blog so much! Since I started following you (which was about a month ago) I have not seen one recipe that I don't want to try. I have some pears sitting on my counter right now, so they will be going into this recipe tonight. thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comment and welcome as a follower. We are always glad to hear from our readers. This is a very good pie and different from a regular fruit pie. Do watch that you bake it at a higher heat for the first 10 minutes. That crisps up the topping.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.