Family Favorites...High Citrus Pie



  Chiffon Type Pies were quite popular in the 40’s. This recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Golden Treasury of Cooking is that type of pie. I made these often when I was first married and we entertained a lot. Now days, I still make them, but just not as often.
  They call for egg whites beaten stiff and folded in. The whites are not cooked and if this would bother you, I think egg white powders would work. As I get my eggs from Sue’s brother-in-law and I know he is very careful to keep his henhouse and feed clean, I don’t worry about it. I guess I never worried about it when I was making these types of pies years ago and buying my eggs from the local grocery store.
  I really think this would be very good put into pretty dessert dishes instead of a pie shell. It is low in calories and fat grams as there is no whipped cream or butter in the filling.
High Citrus Pie
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon (1 envelope) unflavored gelatin
Dash salt
4 egg yolks
½ teaspoon grated lemon peel, set aside
⅓ cup lemon juice (I used Meyer Lemons)
½ teaspoon grated orange peel, set aside
3 Tablespoons orange juice
2 Tablespoons water
4 egg whites
¼ cup sugar
1 baked and cooled 8 to 9 inch pie crust
In saucepan combine the ½ cup sugar, gelatin, and salt. Beat egg yolks, lemon and orange juice and water together. Stir into gelatin mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat just until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add saved grated peel.
Cool, stirring occasionally until partially set. 
 Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, slowly add the ¼ cup sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in gelatin mixture. It helps to lighten the egg whites with a small amount of the gelatin mixture before folding all of it in.
  Put into pie shell and chill till firm. Trim with shredded orange peel if desired.
  

1 comment:

  1. My father in law would laugh and say "No citrus in the citrus pie!"... but I might try this one!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.