Beef Goulash


  My daughter has been nagging me for the Goulash recipe I made when she was growing up. You know that is several years ago now and I was not sure just how I did make it. Never had a recipe as such so we have been trying several different recipes and none of them was right.
  When I found this older cookbook, Ground Beef Cookbook, there was a Goulash recipe that looked like it might be close to what she remembers.
  I tried it for supper last night and Amy said, Yes, that is the one. Really simple and not many seasonings which I think is what I did then with younger children, this calls for a bay leaf, salt, pepper and chili powder. I did add about ⅛ teaspoon of Cumin, as that is a chili type spice and we ate all but a small amount for Bettie’s lunch today.  
  This is very easy to make and I am certainly going to make it again. You could vary the pasta if you wish, the elbow macaroni is what we always used back then. It was the pasta that was the most easily available.
Beef Goulash
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped celery
Small amount of oil to saute vegetables in
1 pound ground beef
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 large bay leaf
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 ½ teaspoon chili powder or to taste
⅛ teaspoon Cumin opt.
1 ½ cups uncooked macaroni
  Saute onion and celery in large skillet in small amount of oil till soft. Add Ground beef and brown lightly. Drain if necessary. Add the rest of the ingredients except macaroni and simmer.
  While the sauce is simmering cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain and add to the ground beef sauce mixture. Stir and simmer another 10 minutes until heated through. 
  Put in serving bowl or just plate everyones serving to save another dish and top with cheese if desired. 
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

4 comments:

  1. This may be the recipe I was looking for as well. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it works for you, it is nice to find a recipe you haven't made for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom used to make this when I was a kid. It really takes me back and fills me with good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Greg Ray, It took my daughter and I back also. Really a simple meal and sometimes that is the best.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.