Chocolate Ice Cream


Custard Based Chocolate Ice Cream
  Chocolate ice cream by the Best Of Ice Cream Cookbook is a simple and good recipe. We all liked it, and though I didn’t let it chill long enough, it turned out fine.
The recipe says to chill for 30 minutes, but the next time I make it, I will let it chill for at least an hour. I did find that the chocolate set up some when I put it into the warm milk, and there are tiny flecks of chocolate in the ice cream. It tastes just fine though and everyone will think you did it on purpose.
  The four egg yolks called for in the recipe left me with 4 egg whites, so I am going to try a white cake from scratch, (another post) so will use up the eggs. Egg whites can be frozen though if you don’t want to use them right away.
  You could add some nuts or chocolate chips if you wanted too. Always add near the end of the ice cream maker cycle.
Chocolate Ice Cream
2 cups whole milk
4 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar
⅛ teaspoon salt
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
  In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the whole milk to a simmer and set aside. In the top of a double boiler or medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar for 3 to 4 minutes or until pale yellow. Gradually whisk in the hot milk. Place the pan or bowl over a pan of simmering water and cook, whisking constantly7 for 8 to 10 minutes until custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the hot water and stir in the melted chocolate until blended. Stir in the cream and vanilla.
  Chill mixture for at least 30 minutes. Pour into ice cream maker following manufacturers instructions.
Makes about 1 ½ quarts

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmmm French custard ice cream! When I have four egg whites over, I make kisses . They were my dad's favorite. They store forever and we ate them with ice cream or whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.