Chicken Baked In Cream


  I had a package of chicken thighs and one leg that needed to be prepared. After looking through cookbooks, I tried a recipe from the New Recipes from Quilt Country. Their recipe calls for 2 cups of heavy cream which I could not bring myself to use. So, I used one cup of heavy cream, one cup of chicken broth and 2 tablespoons of Sherry.
I also changed the seasoning to suit our tastes which is easy to do and shortened up the time. Feel free to change seasonings, maybe poultry seasoning and paprika. 
  The chicken was tender, the gravy so good, and I liked just putting it in the oven and not having to do anything else to it. The recipe I am giving you is the one I altered. Not quite so many calories and the gravy was nicely thickened even though I used GF flour.
Chicken baked in Cream
½ cup all purpose flour or all purpose Gluten Free flour
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dry Italian Seasoning 
2 Tablespoons of butter and 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
3 pounds of mixed chicken pieces of your choice
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoon of Sherry, optional
  Preheat oven to 350° Mix flour and seasonings and dredge chicken pieces. In a large saute pan melt the butter with the oil over medium high heat. Add the floured chicken and saute on both sides until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
  Transfer the browned chicken to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and pour the cream, broth, sherry mixture over the chicken. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake ½ hour longer until chicken is brown on top. Garnish with parsley or thyme and serve the cream gravy over rice or mashed potatoes. 

2 comments:

  1. I made this for dinner the other night using boneless skinless chicken breasts. It was delicious, the chicken was fork tender & so easy to make. I dredged my chicken in cornstarch instead of flour. I didn't have heavy cream in the fridge, so had to use 18% cream, as a result I did need to thicken my gravy a bit more after. Thanks for posting a great recipe, I will be making it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. The cornstarch sounds like a great idea, sometimes I use rice flour which works well. I usually use GF flour to flour meats and poultry. I am going to try the cornstarch next time.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.