Family Favorites...Stuffed Chicken Thighs


I have to thank Esther Heithoff, Carroll, Iowa for contributing this recipe to “Holiday Delights 1992."
It is easier to make that I thought it would be, and more delicious.
The thighs boned easily with a small, sharp ‘Granny’ knife, and the amount of dressing was just right.  I used my muffin scoop, a size 24, to portion the dressing onto the thighs, and used my turkey skewers to close the thighs to hold in the dressing.  I used some leftover 3 grain dinner rolls and made them into crumbs in my food processor.  Do use the sherry if you have it, it added a lot to the bacon-flavored dressing.  The original recipe calls for 2 thighs per person, we think one was plenty.  I’ve made this several times now; a rack in a shallow pan is a good idea, as the skin drips fat into the pan.
Remember, this should be assembled just before baking; to prevent bacteria build-up.
What I especially liked about this recipe is that it bakes almost an hour, and you have plenty of time to prepare the rest of your meal.
                                Stuffed Chicken Thighs
     1/2 Cup  Celery -- finely chopped
     1/2 Cup  Onion -- finely chopped
  3        Tablespoons  Bacon Drippings
  2        Tablespoons  Dry Sherry
     1/4 Teaspoon  Poultry Seasoning
  2        Cups  Soft Bread Crumbs
  3        Slices  Bacon -- cooked and crumbled
  8        Each  Chicken Thighs -- boned, with skin
     1/2 Teaspoon  Garlic Salt

Cook bacon.  Sauté celery and onion in 2 tbsp. of the bacon drippings, until soft, about 4 minutes; remove from heat.  Add sherry, poultry seasoning and 1/4 tsp. pepper; mix well.  Add bread crumbs and bacon; mix well.
Place chicken thighs, skin side down, on flat surface.  Spread each thigh with 2 tbsp. of the bread mixture; roll up and fasten with wooden picks.
Place thighs, seam side down, in a single layer in a shallow baking dish.  (I think a shallow pan with a rack is a good idea).  Brush lightly with remaining 1 tbsp. of bacon drippings; sprinkle with garlic salt and remaining pepper.
Bake in preheated 450° oven, 7 minutes.  Reduce oven to 350° and bake 45 minutes longer.
Preparation time:  1 1/2 hours.
Serves 4-6
Per Serving: 196 Calories; 13g Fat (62.8% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 14mg Cholesterol; 521mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Sue, these look and sound GOOD! I don't have bacon but I'll get some. When I have a recipe that calls for sherry, I substitute half apple juice and half cider vinegar.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.