Sauerkraut Relish

I’m not excessively fond of sauerkraut…usually only if it’s baked under a nice ring of German or Pella Ring bologna, or some ribs or pork chops, or maybe a small amount on a brat.  But this recipe…I just love it!
My husband and I couldn't leave it alone after the first sample!  It’s that good!  Everyone who tries it wants the recipe too.  I can’t claim it for my own, it’s from the very nice blog Recipes from a German Grandma.
Don't just think you have to serve this with brats...it's a great addition to any plate simply as a vegetable or salad substitute.
Sauerkraut Relish
Ingredients:
2 cups sauerkraut (drained)
1 / 2 cup sugar
1 / 2 cup cider vinegar
1 / 2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 / 2 cup chopped red or yellow bell pepper
1 / 2 cup chopped onion
1 / 2 cup cup chopped celery
1. Drain and rinse the sauerkraut.  Dice the peppers, onions, and celery in a small dice.
2. Mix the vinegar and sugar together and mix into the sauerkraut (We heated it in a measuring cup in the microwave 1 minute to dissolve the sugar.  Stir once or twice).
3. Add the vegetables and mix.
Serve as a salad or with Bratwurst or hot dogs.
Keeps in the fridge for quite a long time.
**We like Frank's canned sauerkraut if you don't make your own.

6 comments:

  1. My family loves this also. Sue gave us a sample and now I make it. We like sauerkraut and eat it often, but this is great on sandwiches.
    Just the thing to have when grilling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I make this too. Verrrrry good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. You might try "Dixie Relish" from the National Center for Food Preservation canning relishes book page 11...link here: Canning Relishes
      Ball and Bernardin have a similar recipe.
      Ball and the

      Delete
  4. I used this relish to top my Octoberfest pizza. A local pizza place offered sweet kraut relish as a topping and people loved it. Goes great with pepperoni or sausage. Thanks for sharing recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I never thought of using this on pizza, but it sounds like a great idea! We also like it with smoked BBQ like burnt ends sandwiches.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.