Family Favorites Pickled Carrots


Pickled Carrots
 Years ago there was a restaurant we went to that served pickled carrot slices on their salad bar. Alas, the restaurant has since burned down, and I never had them again. This recipe from the Ultimate Southern Living cookbook is quite close to what I remember them tasting like. They sliced theirs in rounds and that is what I will do next time, and I think I will dilute the vinegar with some water or add a small amount of sugar as they are sharp, Try them like this and you can always drain off some of the vinegar and replace it with water.
  They are easy to make, except for slicing the carrots, another reason to cut them in rounds, and stay crisp not soggy. They make a colorful addition to a relish tray or on a plate with a meal.

Pickled Carrots
Prep 20 minutes    Cook 15 minutes    Marinate 8 hours
1 ½ cups cider vinegar
1 ½ cups water
1 cup sugar
2 pounds carrots, scraped and cut into strips
2 tablespoons dill seeds
3 to 4 cloves garlic
Combine first 3 ingredients in a large pan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
Add carrots, dill seeds, and garlic; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat; cool. Cover and chill 8 hours.
To serve, pour mixture through a large mesh strainer, discarding liquid. Discard garlic if desired. Given in decorative jars or bottles they make a nice hostess gift.

3 comments:

  1. They are shown in canning jars, so did you can these too? If so, do you water bath or pressure can them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, sorry I didn't can them. I put them in jars to give away and because glass is good storage for pickled things.
    It really doesn't make enough to bother canning them. More like an addition to a relish tray or for a side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made some pickled carrots. My recipe was a little different. I pressure canned them. Could they be water canned because of the vinegar? I haven't tried them yet.

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.