Cornmeal Biscuits

 This recipe from Martha Stewart caught my eye as it was for a drop biscuit which I must confess is what I make when I make biscuits. The addition of cornmeal gives them a different taste and texture. The creamed chicken recipe I use calls for serving it over spoon bread so we tried this instead. It worked very well, and does not taste like cornbread but like baking powder biscuits with a very good texture and crumb. You can taste the cornmeal in them but not like cornbread at all. 

Cornmeal Drop Biscuits
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
¾ cup fine yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup shortening and ¼ cup cold butter
1 cup milk
 Preheat oven to 375°, Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
In a dry bowl mix dry ingredients, a whisk works well, Using a pastry blender cut in cold butter that has been cut in small pieces and cold shortening until mixture resembles small crumb with a few larger clumps remaining. 

 Pour in the milk and mix just until blended, do not over mix. The dough will be slightly sticky. With two spoons drop mounds of dough, (about ⅓ cup) 1 ½ inches apart on parchment paper in pan. Bake about 15 to 20 minutes until golden. Remove on the parchment paper to wire rack to cool.

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious. I am going to link to your blog when I post next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link. These are good and it's always nice to have a change of pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can be used or done if you don't have parchment paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi HaroldS, Silplat would work or I would lightly grease the pan. That's what I did for years before I used parchment. Do not however grease with butter or margarine.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.