Swiss Ham and Noodle Casserole


It’s my opinion that most recipes from large food companies are easy to make and give a satisfactory dish – after all, they are trying to sell their product.  Our grandmother always, always used Creamettes pasta, and this recipe is from an old cookbook from the company.
I tried it because it doesn’t use a can of condensed soup, and it called for sour cream and Swiss cheese, two items I needed to use up.   And I wanted to use some Easter ham.
I was afraid it would be too bland, but I used really good Swiss cheese and no-water-added ham, plus the onion and mustard made it taste just right.
I used the pan I cooked the noodles in to cook my onions while my noodles drained in a colander, and then combined the mixture in the same pan.  My husband has taught me not to make so many dirty dishes!   
His opinion of the casserole…”I knew it would be good because it has everything I like in it.”   Serve it with a colorful vegetable and/or a side salad.   Double the recipe for a 13 x 9” pan, bake 35 minutes.         

                Swiss Ham and Noodle Casserole 
     ¼   pound  Egg Noodles (dry weight) -- cooked and drained
  1       cup  Cooked Ham -- cubed (4 ounces)
     ¼   cup  Onion -- chopped
  2       tablespoons  Butter
     ¾   cup  Sour Cream -- room temperature
  2       ounces  Swiss Cheese -- shredded
  1       large  Egg -- well beaten
  1       teaspoon  Dijon Mustard
           Canned French Fried Onions -- for topping

Preheat oven to 350°.  Cook dry noodles according to package directions. 
In a small saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender.
In large bowl, combine all ingredients except French fried onions; mix well.
Turn into greased quart baking dish or smaller baking dishes.
Cover, bake 25-30 minutes (15-20 minutes for smaller dishes) or until hot and bubbly.  Uncover, top with French fried onions.  Bake 5 minutes longer.
 4 Servings

  Adapted from "Tried and True from Creamettes 1981"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.