Family Favorites...Spinach and Mushroom Enchiladas

We really like the Spinach and Mushroom Enchiladas from Carlos O’Kelly’s, and here is a version that I make that may not be theirs, but we like it.  I make it whenever spinach is in the garden or on sale.  I make the spinach mixture in my wok to keep down the mess.  We love this so much, it’s worth the few extra steps.  Serve with your favorite sides like beans and/or Spanish rice.                   
Spinach and Mushroom Enchiladas for 2
  4         Ounces  Canned Mushrooms -- drained and chopped
     1/3  small  Onion -- finely chopped
  2          Teaspoons  Butter
  1         teaspoon  Garlic -- minced
  1         Tablespoon  Sherry -- or white wine, or chicken broth
  6         Ounces  Fresh Spinach -- coarsely chopped
     1/8   teaspoon  Garlic Salt -- or regular salt
                        Sauce
     1/2  Tablespoon  Lime Juice
     1/2  Teaspoon  Garlic Salt
     2      Tablespoons Butter
                        Assemble Enchiladas
  4         6 Inch  Flour Tortillas -- full fat
  2         Ounces  Queso -- shredded (or Monterey Jack)
Chop the mushrooms and onions.  Coarsely chop spinach. Preheat oven to 350°.
In a wok or large fry pan, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender.  Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.  Set aside about 1/3 of this mixture for sauce.
Add sherry to remaining mixture, cook and stir for 2 minutes.  Add spinach and garlic salt; cook until spinach just wilts and liquid evaporates.
In a glass measuring cup, mix the lime juice and garlic salt with the butter  and heat through in the microwave - 15-20 seconds.
Place 3 tablespoons of spinach mixture down the center of each tortilla; roll up and place seam side down in a greased shallow baking dish (7 x 11")
Spoon sauce over the top; sprinkle with cheese. Top with remaining mushroom onion mixture.  Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.

1 comment:

  1. OH! Yum! I love spinach & mushrooms! A similar enchilada is what I order at one of the restaurants in Fort Collins. And I order a spinach omelet at Egg & I. At both places I ask them to chop the spinach so it's easier to eat. I make a hot spinach bean salad for myself since hubby won't eat it. I have been known to sneak it into some foods though. Thanks for posting this! It'll be a new lunch for me when hubby is at work! :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.