From the Garden...Linda's Green Bean Salad

My husband and I like almost any salad, and I like marinated vegetable salads I can make ahead.  The pretty colors and crisp, cold, tangy vegetables perk up any meal.   I had to try this little different bean salad from the  "Library of Family Favorites", contributed by Linda Gallagher.
Linda’s directions were sparse; I made this like I do Cucumber Salad, dissolving the sugar in the vinegar first.  This is a nice bean salad for those who don’t like kidney beans, and we liked the fresh vegetables that are added in – a good way to use garden bounty.  I used home-canned beans.  John could hardly wait to try it.
                            Green Bean Salad
  1         cup wax beans, canned or cooked
  1         cup  green beans, canned or cooked
  2         ounces pimientos, canned
  1         medium green peppers -- chopped
  3         stalks celery -- sliced
  1         medium cucumber - peeled and sliced
  1         teaspoon salt
     ½     teaspoon onion flakes
     ¼     cup tarragon vinegar
     ¼     cup white vinegar
             Sugar -- to taste (I used 1/2 cup)

Combine; cover and refrigerate overnight.
My directions: Use a 1 1/2-2 quart covered bowl or measuring bowl for vegetables.  Dissolve sugar in vinegar in microwave 1 1/2 minutes; stirring every 30 seconds.  Let cool.  Sprinkle salt over cucumber and peppers; let set an hour, drain.  Add remaining vegetables and dressing, refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight, stir once or twice.  Makes 8-10 servings or 1-1 1/2 quarts.
Serve in a nice chilled glass bowl or dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.