From the Garden...Home Canned Carrots


We like carrots…and I like them canned better than frozen.  The amount of vegetables needed depends on the size of your carrots – you will have more waste with smaller carrots.  Carrots, like all except pickled vegetables, need to be pressure canned.  It is a good product for learning how to can; they are relatively easy to get ready.  I usually can mine with a hot pack, but raw packed carrots are every bit as good, and a little easier.  They will shrink more in the jar, however, and you may have some floating.  That certainly doesn’t hurt the flavor!   
Don and Bonnie's Canned Carrots
Never throw away the liquid from canned carrots - it is excellent in beef gravy as the liquid.
I used these for the first thing I canned in my new All-American canner to try it out!  I also have a larger Presto canner.  My brother-in-law, Don, gave me the old Hazel-Atlas jars - pretty, aren't they?   He and his family canned 20 quarts and 20 pints of carrots from 50 pounds of raw carrots from their garden, pictured here.
Home Canned Carrots
  5 1/2 -7 pounds Whole Carrots -- (depending on size of carrots)
  2             Quarts  Hot Water -- for filling jars
Wash carrots and drain.  Peel and wash again.  Leave baby carrots whole.  Slice or dice larger carrots.
Raw pack:  Tightly pack carrots into hot jars.
Hot pack:  In a stainless steel pot, combine carrots with boiling water to cover.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes, until tender-crisp.  Drain, reserving cooking liquid for packing.  Pack hot carrots into hot jars. 
Either raw or hot pack:
Pack within a generous 1 inch of top of jar.  Add salt, if desired, 1/2 teaspoon for each pint.  Ladle boiling water or cooking liquid into jar to cover vegetables, leaving 1" head space.  Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if necessary, by adding more hot liquid.  Wipe rims.  Adjust lids and rings.
Place jars in pressure canner, filled with approximately 3 quarts hot water (check mfg. directions).
Process at 10 pounds pressure for 25 minutes for pints and 30 minutes for quarts at 1000' altitude.  Check your book for other altitudes.
  "Kerr Kitchen Cookbook"
  "7-8 Pints"

8 comments:

  1. I should really break down and get myself a pressure canner. I think the only thing that stops me is when my husband told me about his mother's experience about pressure canning green beans.
    She done all her canning in the basement.
    Well, one day when she was canning green beans her canner exploded and beans went Everywhere. On the walls, ceilings around the corner going up the steps and up onto the front door and onto her kitchen door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen, After I got done laughing I want to tell you that pressure canners really are safe to use. Usually they will blow the safety valve before that would happen. It must have seen a lot of use and might have had a minor crack or something. Both Sue and I have used them for many, many years now. You do need to read and follow the directions though.

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a mess it was.
    Canners now days are built much different and better I think than they where 50 - 60 years ago.
    I think when she went upstairs to work in the kitchen she had forgotten about her canner on the stove and it produced so much pressure that it totally blew it's top.
    In Texas we have no basements so I would hate to think of the mess if that where to happen now days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just see the mess, our Mom had a pressure cooker blow the safety valve and we had bean soup on the ceiling when we were kids. Of course we thought it was so funny even when we were the ones on the ladder cleaning the ceiling. I still had Mom's Montgomery Ward canner until a few years ago. Passed it on and it is still being used. You can still buy parts for it.

      Delete
  3. I do have a very old, large canner that says Mirro-Matic "16" but have been afraid to use it. It's a Big ole thing; it's 40 inches around and basically 10 inches tall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know a lot about canners so will have to let Sue answer this one. I think they still make Mirro-Matic?

      Delete
  4. Mine is just like this one: http://www.terapeak.com/worth/vintage-mirro-matic-16-quart-pressure-cooker-canner-aluminum-cookware/391504200060/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I used to have one like this...it worked well. Don't know if you can find gaskets for them these days or not. They do still make Mirro canners, but they are not nearly as good as these old ones.
      The one you have doesn't have a gauge that needs to be calibrated, so if the gasket is ok or if you can find one, and the bottom is nice and flat, you should be able to use it. You can google mirro pressure canner manuals if you don't have yours. You may have the model number stamped somewhere on the cooker to help look for gaskets.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.