Accordion Potatoes

A post on the PBS site reminded me that I used to make these potatoes before we moved to Iowa. That has been over 40 years ago and I thought maybe it was time to make them again. I found the original recipe I used in an old Good Housekeeping cookbook. I told Lyle and Bettie not to get too fond of them as it might be another 40 years before I make them again, just kidding. Though they are more work than just baking potatoes they are very good and once they are in the oven you are free to make the rest of your meal. 
 I served them with pan fried fish and corn. They are good and the melted butter you pour on them browns and then can be spooned on top to eat. I used russets though the recipe suggests red potatoes. I rarely buy them and always have russets on hand.
 The main thing is not to cut all the way through the potato and try to keep the slices about the same size. Some I did and some were not as good but they tasted fine. I did not brown them as much under the broiler as we wanted them crisp and not burnt. That is up to you how dark you like them. All in all, I think I will make them again now that I have the recipe again.
Accordion Potatoes
6 to 8 medium potatoes (no more than 6 ounces apiece)
Thyme sprigs (If you don’t have fresh, use some dried)
4 tablespoons butter, melted
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
Chopped fresh parsley
Snipped fresh chives
 Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9 baking pan.
 Set 1 potato on cutting board. With large knife starting at one end of potato, cut a series of vertical slices about ⅛ inch apart, making sure not to cut all the way through. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
 Insert a thyme spring into 4 of the cuts in each potato. Arrange potatoes in prepared pan, cut side up; drizzle butter over the tops. Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper; cover baking pan tightly with foil.
 Place pan in oven on lowest rack and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove pan from oven, remove foil. Turn oven control to broil. Place pan with potatoes on rack in broiler. Broil until browned on top, 5 to 7 minutes or until your liking. Sprinkle with parsley and chives.


Each Serving: about 296 calories, 4g protein, 41g carbs, 6g fat, 366 mg sodium

8 comments:

  1. Oh these sound good. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are good and I saw a recipe using apples and the same technique today.

      Delete
  2. Love accordion potatoes especially sprinkled with bits of bacon.
    To make sure you don't cut all the way through; lay down a wooden spoon handle or wooden bread board right beside the potato. When cutting, the knife will hit the wooden spoon handle before cutting all the way through the potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used chopsticks though the wooden spoon handle would work OK also.

      Delete
  3. I knew I used to make these also, thanks for reminder.....of course now they are all the rage with a new name, hassle back...but everything old is new again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth. So many of the new food fads and recipes are to be found in my old cookbooks including recipes for Kale in a 1950's cookbook I own.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yes, we do to. You can fill the slits with some grated cheese also for a different taste. Glad you like them.

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.