Cookbook Reviews Southern Living The Low Cost Cookbook

  I recently found a used copy of  Southern Living The Low Cost CookbookPublished in 1972 by Oxmoor House, it gives recipes for low cost meals, and tips on low cost grocery shopping. Some of the tips are still valid today. I sure wish Lamb and Veal were still considered a low cost meat and were readily available.
  The chapters range from High Quality Low Cost Meal Planning, Seasonal buying, through recipes ranging from Breads to Salads, Soups and Stews. 
  I found the chapter on Meal Planning interesting. Granted we no longer fuss with elaborate meals on a everyday basis, this chapter had some great tips on serving inexpensive meals from everyday to company dinners. 
  Some of their tips, such as cutting down on waste I found appropriate as that is something I still have some problems with. I tend to over-estimate what senior citizens will eat at a meal. 
  With grocery prices rising at a rapid pace this book has many great ideas on saving on your grocery budget. It is available on line and at used book sales and is worth your time looking for it. 

Here are some recipes from this book, we hope you enjoy and maybe try some of them.





Baked Pork Chops and Rice

Spiced Luncheon Meat

2 comments:

  1. I, too, have a problem with what seniors eat at a meal. One trick I have been using is to cut a recipe in half and divide the half between us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their are three of us so that won't always work. I think the one thing I have the most problems with are potatoes. I usually add one too many unless it is baked. At least they are easy to use as leftovers. lol

      Delete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.