Potato Soup


This is a very basic potato soup recipe for 2, one I have used for years.   It’s a surprisingly quick recipe that uses very basic ingredients.  If desired, you can use chicken stock for the water for a richer flavor.
 It’s simple, inexpensive and delicious…just like Grandma’s.
                               
   2           medium  potatoes -- diced
     1/2     medium  onion -- diced
  1            stalk  celery -- diced
  4            ounces  ham, diced -- optional
     3/4     Cup  water or chicken stock
  1            Tablespoon  flour
  1            cup  half and half -- or heavy cream or whole milk
                dash  nutmeg
                Ham scraps, diced (optional)
Cook potato, celery and onion in water or stock until tender, about 20 minutes.  Add flour to 1/4 cup of half and half, stir well and add to pan with remaining liquid.  Heat until bubbly; cook 1 minute more.  Season with nutmeg.  Ham scraps can be added if desired.

2 servings

4 comments:

  1. 72 years old and still miss my Mother making me potato soup when I was sick. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this 2 serving recipe. I have never made a little batch but I just might this very day! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how "potato soup" and "Mom" go together, seeing Dee's comment above. My Mom used to make potato soup on a cold winter day and said, "Hot ham sandwiches and potato soup really hit the spot." I always think of potato soup with ham sandwiches and sledding. Mom also had the idea of ham with potato soup, though we never actually had ham in the soup. I love to make potato soup and never used a recipe. But, your recipe tells me a shortcut. I have been boiling the potatoes alone and then reserving some of the "potato water" for the soup. Your way seems faster and better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so delicious. A cup of hot soup to warm the soul

    ReplyDelete

Hi...we'd love to hear from you.
Comments are moderated before appearing...Thanks.